Thursday, August 12, 2010

TJ Tunes Review: "Shark In the Water" by V.V. Brown

Another song I listened to quite a bit on the road. Will this song be swimming with the dolphins or land in the shark pool? (terrible analogy, I know) Read on the find out!

Lyrically I had trouble finding, for lack of a better term, the message of the song. Most songs generally have some meaning behind it, but I couldn't think of one. According the the music video however, it's about a boyfriend who cheats. So the song is a giant metaphor. Never had one of those songs before [/sarcasm].

I really couldn't get into the lyrics at first, but after a while I decided that the reason behind it was because most songs today are very straight-forward and candid. They always get to the point right away; they're partying until the sun comes up, tonight will be a good night, or they got "it" (what "it" is I still don't know, but whatever it is, they want you to know they got "it"). This song, however, is not like that. It's not often I get to hear a song with a metaphor. Since it's not blather like other artists (such as the Black Eyed Peas), I decided that I like the lyrics.

But as we all know, no one cares about the lyrics; it's the melody and rhythyms. How are they? I must say, not bad. It is fairly hard to forget this song or mix it up with another one. I actually found the melody quite original. It's catchy, appealing, and you'll want to hear it again.

All in all, this is a great song that, in my opinion, is a breathe of fresh air to the pop world. It's not shallow like Ke$ha, it makes sense, and above all, it's original.

RATING: 9.9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

, , ,